Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The best sausage balls ever?

I recently pinned a recipe for sausage balls on Pinterest. They claimed to be the best sausage balls ever because they had cream cheese in them. I am no stranger to sausage balls. I love them, especially around the holidays. Who doesn't? So I got all my ingredients ready and started.
The recipe calls for:
1 lb hot sausage, uncooked
1 8 oz block cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cup Bisquick
4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 400F. Mix all ingredients well. (You can use your Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough attachment to make this easier). Roll into 1 inch balls. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until brown.

I quadrupled the recipe since I had four Christmases to take food to. BAD idea. Do you know how hard it is to mix 16 oz of cheese, 4 blocks of cream cheese, 4 lb of cold, uncooked meat, and 5 cups of powder? HARD.

This is all I ended up making. I was so tired of rolling balls after these that I gave up. I wrapped up the rest of this mix and froze it to use later.

I know some of the bottoms look a little burnt, but they tasted fine. Even though I put the two pans in and took them out at the same time, one was done faster.
So I ended up like these a lot. They stayed moist and I love anything with cream cheese so I think I will make them again.
The only problem I had was that when they were done the pans were full of grease! Yuck! My mother-in-law gave me a little tip for this. She said that no recipe will tell you this, but cook the sausage a little before. Don't cook  it thoroughly, just a little. This will prevent all that yucky grease from coating your sausage balls. So next time I make these, I'm doing them one batch at a time and cooking the meat before. Otherwise, I definitely recommend these!
Hope you all had a fantastic holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment